When I initially wrote this section, I started it by asking if you could keep a secret? That secret was that I regard myself as a Master Generalist or Versatilist.
Master generalists/Versatilists can apply a depth of skill to a progressively widening scope of situations and experiences, equally at ease with technical issues as with business strategy.
I am very, very good at finding things out, and learning how to do things well. I have an extensive breadth of experience in central services and creative services and have worked for global blue-chip corporates in accountancy and advisory services, the world’s preeminent investment bank, and a market leading financial technology company. I also spent several years in B2B sales as a high-performing leader for the global leader in business information and mass media services.
I am skilled at being able to adapt to fast-changing realities, guidelines, expectations, and deliverables.
To give you an idea of what I mean, in the last 12 months I have:
- Lead a virtual and remote team in six culturally diverse locations and time zones.
- Been instrumental in the pilot project, and subsequent purchase and deployment of an automated language editorial platform (the one used by Google, IBM, Facebook, Adobe, PayPal, and more. It’s huge!).
- Investigated leading-edge platforms for the consistent delivery of corporate brand to clients by enabling document authors with cloud-based tools on their desktop.
- Coached, mentored, managed, trained, and lead a team to be a high performing team with an outsized positive impact on the business.
- Lead the creative services team in a major rebrand.
- Lead and given creative direction for a new corporate website.
- I have produced and managed multiple Squarespace micro-sites for corporate events.
- Defined corporate templates in PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Visio – including Visual Basic and XML coding.
- Created art in Adobe Illustrator for exhibitions, events, newsletters, corporate stationery, and internal marketing campaigns.
- Built and configured a dozen different Microsoft Windows MSI installers for templates, tools, applications, information, and knowledge assets. Each deployed to several thousand user desktops.
- Recorded and produced green screen and chromakey videos.
- Written, edited, and recorded scripts for corporate messaging, promotional, and training videos.
- Presented training and informational videos.
- Completed hands-on audio post-production in Adobe Audition.
- Edited and produced multiple corporate and training videos in Camtasia.
- Been engaged in UI/UX teams and created iconography and interface collateral.
- Expanded my boutique team from four time zones to six to deliver virtual 24/5 coverage.
- Managed and refined automated workflow systems (JIRA, Service Desk, and SharePoint).
- Worked in a Lean and Agile environment, but one that when requires can still rely on a Waterfall based approach to project management.
- Refined and deepened my creative skills through training in e-learning, Illustrator, InDesign, colour theory, sketching, and marketing.
- Refined and deepened my business innovation and strategic skills through extensive reading and research.
I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been. Wayne Gretzky
Prior to all of the above, my employment history includes:
- Work in Dublin, London, and Melbourne.
- Managing a large corporate creative services team (55 UK, 35 India)
- Key leadership of a central services team engaged in a BPO and offshoring project.
- Multiple corporate brand refreshes, and relaunches.
- Development and project management of desktop automation tools for Microsoft Office.
- Working directly with, and for, industry leaders and experts.
- Training in PMP Project Management, and PRINCE2 certification.
- Business to Business sales in the Accounting, Legal, and Tax knowledge services industry.
If each of us hires people who are smaller than we are, we shall become a company of dwarfs. But if each of us hires people who are bigger than we are, we shall become a company of giants.
I am also a Manager who cares about his team. I lead and manage my team from the perspective that my role is to support them, enable them, shield them, and develop them into being the best that they can be. I have many Recommendations on my LinkedIn profile from former team members.
I have dual nationality and have current passports for the United Kingdom and Australia. While I regard London and the Home Counties as my home, currently I am working in Berlin, Germany.
A focus on strengths
I try to focus on doing what I do best every day or working in a way that supports that.
Strengths are the unique combination of talents, knowledge, and skills that every person possesses. People use these innate traits and abilities in their daily lives to complete their work, to relate with others, and to achieve their goals. But most people don’t know what their strengths are or have the opportunity to use them to their advantage.
People who do focus on their strengths every day are six times as likely to be engaged in their jobs. They are more productive too, both individually and in teams. And they are more than three times as likely to say they have an excellent quality of life.
Developing your strengths is a critical component of living a strengths-based life.
My strengths from the renowned Gallup Clifton StrengthsFinder assessment are:
Get in touch
If you are looking for a professional, who can manage, build, motivate, and develop a central services or creative services team. Someone who can improve systems, tools, processes and define standards ahead of time. Also, who can think strategically, and creatively, to deliver projects then, we should talk.